you're reading...
Uncategorized

Raj Comics

Pikachu’s latest post reminded me of our bonding session in the outlook office over the Raj Comics website ( name synonymous with almost complete children’s comics scene in India. Creators of dazzling array of comic heroes), which i discovered thanks to Shuddha and my comics story.
Here are a few links to my favourite pages
from the Super Hero’s Action Zone –
The best-known of them all, the snaky Nagraj, Doga (He is vigilante of Mumbai Metropolis . He pooh-poohs law . He is law in himself . Dogs are his back up army. )Anthony (A Dead Men who arises to punish Wrong Doers)who has to have the best entrance ever – ‘Shrill cries of Prince crow make the air tremble, the clouds thunder lightening flashes and dead man Anthony brakes out of his grave like a submarine fired a missile emerges out of the sea.’ and Bheria the wolfman, whose background is as follows –
‘Fifty thousand Plus years ago there was a kingdom of intelligent wolfmen ruled by king wolf who took fancy to a human girl. Desire makes him to trick the girl into matrimony and a boy is born who gets named COBI. Meanwhile the girl sees through the trick and digest. She leaves them and marrys to another king. When Cobi comes of age he along with his father Wolfa go to claim her. At this audacity she in a rage , curses Cobi and turns him into a Gold Statue. The curse gets lifted after 50,000 years and Cobi finds himself in a jungle in Assam. thus he began a new innings as BHERIA’
There are quite a few other heroes, all entertaining. But the star of the site is, without question, Shakti, leopard-bikini-clad new-age Kali. The site introduces her somewhat better -

SHAKTI is Goddess Kali’s transcending incarnation. Kali’s the demon destroyer, and the last word in womanpower. She is a raging desire to get justice for women in this man’s world. whenever a woman anywhere on this world cries for help in distress the vibes turn an ordinary woman Chanda into Shakti. She wears a Leopard skin dress
And who is this ordinary woman Chanda, you ask? You may well ask, well, here’s all the Raj comics guys reveal -
CHANDA
HOST BODY FOR SHAKTI
She was an ordinary housewife. One day she discovers a horrible fact that her husband had been killing her girl offspring. the monstrosity and injustice of it all opens up the volcano of anger in her sending the smoke to heavens .Raging Chanda transforms into Shakti and kills the monster husband. Then on Goddess Kali uses Chanda’s body to transform into Shakti to do Justice. Chanda keeps herself busy in hospital and social works. The only tell tale sign of this phenomenon is eye mark on ordinary chanda’s fore ford which she keeps well covered with a hear band pretending permanent migraine.
I think that says it all:)

About Samit Basu

Writes books, comics, films, other stuff.

Discussion

10 thoughts on “Raj Comics

1. Ooh. Rocking.

Thank you.

Posted by zigzackly | February 20, 2005, 8:48 pm
  2. there’s this amazing regional raj comics super hero called Crook Bond. he’s a macho bihari. you must read it if you ever find it on any railway platform thela.

Posted by eeesh! | February 21, 2005, 6:43 am
    • I read a lot of Crook Bond comics. His comics were real funny to read. But Crook Bond was not Raj Comics creation, it was a character by Manoj Comics (don’t know if they were taken over by Raj Comics or character was hijacked by them).
      And, I don’t remember if any comics mentioned him to be a “macho bihari”.

Posted by Virendra | August 22, 2010, 12:15 pm
  3. From the age of 11 to 15, I was addicted to Raj Comics. I must say that while the English translations were atrocious, the Hindi versions were usually pretty good, and later on I stuck exclusively to those. The stories ranged from bizarre to completely silly, but they were always entertaining. My faves were: Super Commando Dhruv, Doga and Nagraj. Anubhav Sinha’s stories and illustrations were pretty cool.

I don’t read them now, but I don’t really know why not.

Posted by Aditya Bidikar | June 10, 2005, 7:32 am
  4. From the age of 10 to 17 i was adicted to Raj Comics.It’s superub comics books.It always improve my communication skill because i belongs to small village of Bihar,but i always try to read evrey and each comics of DHRUV and NAGRAJ at that age.I always thaks to Raj comics,specially Nagraj and Dhruv who’s always live in my childhood memorey.

Posted by superhero | January 2, 2006, 3:45 am
  5. [Aditya] the name of that incredible author-artist is Anupam Sinha, not Anubhav Sinha

Posted by Solo | March 20, 2006, 7:00 am
  6. Seriously, I too was a fan of raj (only dhruv & nagraj) during my childhood age. But ne’er used to buy becoz my hindi reading was too fast. Now their story sounds very bizzare but initial stories weren’t that bad. Try some older comics (Late 80s/ early 90s). They WERE entertaining. And they helped me improve my reading speed to almost anything :P
    BTW for eeesh! krookbond was not Raj character & his comics are no more available (MOst prob)..he was a gr8 entretaier too.

Posted by Shubham | March 20, 2006, 7:01 am
  7. I love Raj Comics, I am 18 & still read them whenever I get time. My favourite is Dhruva (obviously).

Posted by Abhyu (Batman) | April 12, 2006, 3:47 pm
  8. hey!did anyone remember about raj’s comics first superhero vinashdoot and gagan,monty.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2007, 3:33 pm
  9. I’m the Big Fan of the Character-Shakti, i luv hiz Look, hiz costume, hiz Style, and his Every Comic…i wanna to download Character-Shakti’s wallpaper and Poster b’t i can’t find it…anybody help me…!!

Posted by Shelu Rajput | November 8, 2010, 10:53 pm